This classic Kiwi dish is also a hearty winter warmer. The combination of meat, starch and vegetables also means it's an easy one pot meal.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Dust the lamb chops with flour that has previously been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and gently cook onion, garlic, celery and carrots until tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the pan back on the heat, adding a little more oil if necessary, and brown chops in batches on both sides.
- Place four chops in the base of a large casserole dish and cover with half onion mixture.
- Peel potatoes and kumara and slice into rounds. Layer half of these over onion mixture and then top with remaining four chops. Add vegetables as before.
- Pour over stock and sprinkle with rosemary. Cover tightly and cook for 1 to 1¼ hours until meat is tender. If liquid is too runny, thicken with a little flour mixed with cold water and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.