Meringue roulade with barbecued stone fruits
Who wouldn’t love meringue, grilled fruits, cream and yoghurt? The real plus is the ease of serving – it disappears as quickly as you slice it.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC fan bake. Line a Swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Whisk egg whites until firm peaks form. Gradually add sugar and cornflour while still whisking.
- Place into the baking tin gently and bake for 10-15 minutes until risen and golden.
- Turn meringue onto a clean tea towel. Cool.
- While cooling, grill the sliced fruit on the barbecue plate or in the oven until coloured and slightly softened.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar and liqueur or dessert wine (optional). This will accompany the roulade.
- Whip the cream and fold in the fruit yoghurt. Drain two pieces of BBQ fruit and mash to a puree. Fold this into the cream.
- When meringue cools, spread fruity cream over it.
- Roll up from the short end of the meringue.
- Serve with the grilled fruit and fruit yoghurt.
Cook's tip: Canned peach or apricot halves will work in this recipe during the winter months. Use two pieces of fruit for the cream and the rest as a garnish. Canned peach or apricot halves will work in this recipe during the winter months. Use two pieces of fruit for the cream and the rest as a garnish.