Winter potato and bacon gratin
( SERVES 8 )
This is one of the most delicious and popular potato dishes for a gathering. Bake more than is needed and bundle in tinfoil packs for guests to take home.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degC
- Line the base of your chosen ovenproof pan or flan mould with a circle of greaseproof paper. Brush with soft butter.
- Cover the bottom and overlap the side with thinly sliced smoked bacon. Neatly and tightly fill with thinly sliced potatoes and grated tasty cheese. Season with pepper only, as the bacon provides the salt.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 200 degC. Remove from the oven and press down the potatoes with a wooden spoon. Reduce temperature to 180 degC and continue cooking, uncovered, a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the potatoes are tender. Recover with tinfoil and leave to rest for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully use the tip of a knife to edge away the bacon from the sides and turn out onto a plate.
- Cut into wedges or place the pan in the centre of the table for a visual feast for your guests.
Cook's tip: We chose Agria potatoes (our favourite floury potato) for a delicious, almost creamy, consistency when baked. Red Desiree, a waxy potato, holds its shape better when baked.