Ginger oat crunch
Global Byte Cafe in Invercargill makes this ginger oat slice to satisfy ginger lovers. It's the perfect partner to a hot coffee.
|1 Tbsp||Golden syrup|
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|1 cup||Rolled oats|
|1 cup||Desiccated coconut|
|1 cup||Self raising flour|
|2 tsp||Ground ginger|
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Melt together butter, golden syrup and brown sugar.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, pour over butter mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Press mixture into a 19 x 26cm slice tin lined with baking paper (the base should feel wettish and a bit buttery).
- Bake for 20 minutes until a light golden colour. Allow base to cool until just warm.
- Melt butter and golden syrup, mix in icing sugar and ginger to make a smooth icing, adding extra icing sugar if needed. Spread icing over base.
- Chop crystallised ginger and scatter over icing. Allow to set and then cut into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container either in the pantry or fridge.