Tamarillo sponge pudding
Vibrant in colour, flavour and rich in vitamins, tamarillos are a winter fruit worth experimenting with.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Place tamarillos in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to sit for 3 minutes, then drain.
- Chop tamarillos into rough chunks and place in the base of an ovenproof baking dish.
- Melt together golden syrup and butter until butter has completely melted. Pour syrup over the tamarillos, then place the dish in the oven.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy. Sift over combined flour, ground ginger and baking powder, and gently mix with combined milk and butter.
- Remove the hot fruit from the oven and pour sponge mix evenly over the top. Return dish to the oven and cook for a further 12 to 15 minutes or until sponge is golden and cooked through.