Saucy Sicilian meatballs
Your family will love this exotic twist on traditional meatballs - and you will love the short cooking time
- Combine lean beef mince, finely chopped onion, egg, parmesan cheese, dried oregano, fresh multigrain breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well and form into meatballs, a little smaller than a golf ball.
- Cook meatballs in a nonstick frying pan or in a little oil until brown, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place on a freezer-proof tray lined with baking paper and freeze. Store frozen meatballs in freezer bags or in a sealed plastic container.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 200 degC. First, defrost meatballs in a single layer in the microwave.
- Pour sauce into a lasagne dish and add the meatballs in a single layer. Sprinkle over grated mozzarella cheese, place torn basil leaves on top and bake for 15 minutes until hot and bubbling.
- Serve the meatballs with spaghetti, or your favourite fresh pasta, and a salad.