Meatballs in sweet and sour sauce
Who says meatballs only have to be cooked in a traditional tomato sauce? The addition of sugar and vinegar to this recipe takes it from delicious to extraordinary!
- To make the sauce, put the finely chopped onion, finely chopped garlic, oil and butter in a heavy pan and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to soften onion.
- Add parsley and tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To make the meatballs, slit the skin on each sausage and pull out the meat, breaking each sausage into 6 rough pieces.
- Puree the sauce through a sieve into a jug, or use a stick blender, then add the vinegar, sugar, cinnamon and seasoning.
- Fry sausage chunks for 5 minutes in a frying pan (no oil needed). Drain excess fat.
- Pour sauce into pan and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. If the sauce becomes too thick add a little water.
- Serve on pasta with an extra sprinkle of parsley.