Chocolate cream pie
Make chocolate curls by spreading melted chocolate in a thin layer onto a foil-covered chopping board. once the chocolate has set, use a spatula or the flat side of a knife to scrape the top surface of the chocolate while holding the board stable. The chocolate should lift off into shavings that form curls.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC.
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until fine crumbs. Add the butter and pulse to combine.
- Press the buttery crumbs into the base of a 24cm flan pan - preferably with a removable base for ease of serving.
- Cover the base and sides with baking paper and weights and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Heat the milk, cornflour and sugar in a saucepan, whisking to incorporate the cornflour and to help the sugar dissolve. Allow to boil and thicken.
- Whisk the egg yolks and pour a little of the milk mixture into the bowl. Continue to whisk and add another 1/5 cup of milk mixture into the yolks.
- Pour the mixture back into the milk mixture, whisking continuously. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate and vanilla and gently mix until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Spread the chocolate mixture into the base, cover with plastic clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Prior to serving, whip cream and spread a layer over the chocolate filling. Dust with cocoa and decorate with chocolate curls. Serve extra cream in a bowl.