( MAKES 9 )
- Place the (fresh, if possible) popped corn in a large bowl and stand in a warm place.
- To make the toffee, place the sugar and water in a large heat-proof jug eg 2 litre Pyrex jug. Microwave on high (100%) power for 2 minutes. Stir gently to dissolve the sugar. Continue cooking in 1 minute bursts for about 4 minutes, until the mixture starts to turn golden. It will continue to cook after removing from the microwave.
- Pour onto the popcorn slowly, tossing with a fork. Cool slightly, but while still warm, form the popcorn into balls about the size of tennis balls, pressing the mixture together gently but firmly.
- Cut 9 pieces of waxed paper into squares — about 30cm. Place a popcorn ball in the centre of each square. Gently gather the paper around the balls. Tie with white cotton.
- If you want to suspend the ghosts, thread some more cotton through the top of the paper and secure with a good knot.