Mediterranean Haloumi & Creamy Pesto Burger with Caramelised Onion & Potato Wedges
( SERVES 4 )
We’re so excited about this burger, with crispy chunks of squeaky level-one haloumi, creamy pesto and a side of golden kumara wedges. Let’s just say you won’t need the local pub’s menu on hand when you’ve got this recipe under your belt.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan-forced. Cut the potato (unpeeled) into 1cm wedges. Place the wedges on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then spread out in a single layer and bake until tender, 25-30 minutes.TIP: Cut the potato to the correct size so it cooks in the allocated time!
- While the wedges are baking, slice the haloumi into 2 thin pieces per person. Place the haloumi slices in a small bowl of cold water and leave to soak. Thinly slice the brown onion. Thinly slice the tomato into rounds.TIP: Cut the haloumi into pieces with a similar width to the burger buns!TIP: Soaking the haloumi helps mellow out the saltiness!
- In a medium frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar, the water and brown sugar and mix well. Cook until dark and sticky, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Wipe out the frying pan and return to a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Drain the haloumi, pat dry with paper towel and add to the pan. Cook until golden, 2 minutes each side.
- Place the burger buns directly on a wire rack in the oven and bake until heated through, 3 minutes.
- Slice the burger buns in half. Spread the base of each bun with the basil pesto. Top with the mixed salad leaves, tomato, haloumi and caramelised onion. Serve with the potato wedges.