Almond & Garlic Crusted Chicken with Garden Salad
( SERVES 4 )
This is crumbed chicken with a difference. First, it's spread with herbed mayo and then it's topped with a mixture of panko breadcrumbs and chopped roasted almonds. There's no dipping in egg and flour, and the result is a total game-changer.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Cut the kumara (unpeeled) into 2cm chunks. Cut the parsnip (unpeeled) to 1cm chunks. Place the kumara and parsnip on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes. TIP: Cut the veggies to the correct size so it cooks in the allocated time!
- While the veggies are roasting, roughly chop the roasted almonds. Finely chop the garlic cloves (or use a garlic press). In a medium bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, chopped almonds, garlic, a generous drizzle of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breast between two sheets of baking paper. Pound the chicken with a meat mallet or rolling pin until it is an even thickness, about 1cm thick.
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper and place on a second oven tray lined with baking paper. Spread 1/2 the dill & parsley mayonnaise over the chicken, then spoon over the almond crumb, pressing down gently to help it stick. Bake until the crust is golden and the chicken is cooked through, 12-15 minutes. TIP: The chicken is cooked through when it's no longer pink inside.
- While the chicken is baking, roughly chop the tomato. In a medium bowl, combine a generous drizzle of olive oil, the balsamic vinegar and honey. Add the tomato and mixed salad leaves. Toss to combine.
- Divide the roasted veggies, almond and herb-crusted chicken and tomato salad between plates. Serve with the remaining dill & parsley mayonnaise.