Wine-glazed Granny Smith Cake
( SERVES 8 )
Serve this divine not-to-sweet dessert with whipped cream, ice cream or plain yoghurt.
- Place the butter and sugar in a food processor and mix until smooth. Add the egg and mix again, scraping down the sides. Combine the flour and baking powder and sift in. Mix until a ball forms. Remove the dough and pat into a disc. Wrap in film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, core and dice the apples. Place in a large bowl and toss together with the lemon juice.
- Combine the cornflour and about 1/3 of the wine in a bowl. Mix well.
- Bring the remaining wine, water, vanilla and sugar to a simmer in a saucepan. Gradually whisk in the cornflour mixture, stirring until just thickened. Place aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 23cm springform cake pan. Line the base with baking paper.
- Roll out the dough and press evenly into the pan. Prick with a fork. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Drain the apples and spread over the base. Spoon the wine glaze evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 1 hour or until completely cooked. Cool completely on a rack before removing from the pan.
- Great served dusted with a little ground cinnamon and garnished with finely grated lemon rind.