( SERVES 6 )
|125 g||Bacon, diced|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2||Large onions, diced|
|1½ kgs||Beef chuck steak, or blade steak|
|½ cup||Beef stock|
|330 ml||Black beer|
|1 Tbsp||Wholegrain mustard|
|1 bunch||Fresh herbs, tied with string|
|1 tsp||Salt and pepper|
|1||Roasted red capsicum, seeded and diced|
|6 slices||French bread|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh mixed herbs, chopped|
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Sauté the bacon in half the oil in a large casserole suitable for the hob and oven. When nearly crisp, add the onions. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the sugar and sauté until golden. Place aside.
- Cut the beef into cubes and dust with the cornflour. Fry in the remaining oil in batches, until coloured.
- Remove from the heat and pour in the beer and beef stock stirring well. Return the onion mixture to the casserole together with the mustard, herbs and seasonings. Cover and cook in oven for 2 hours.
- Ten minutes before the end of cooking time, remove the casserole lid and stir in the red capsicum. Spread the croutons with butter and herbs and place on top of the meat. Cook for 10 minutes.