Beef & rosemary pie with cheesy mash topping & broccolini
( SERVES 4 )
Sometimes only a pie will do. Satisfy that craving for something warm and comforting with this rich, cheesy mash-topped number. It's just like Nanna used to make (but better!).
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil. Peel and cut the potato into 2cm chunks. Add the potato to the saucepan of boiling water and cook until easily pierced with a knife, 10-15 minutes. Drain and return to the saucepan. Add the butter, milk and salt to the saucepan with the potato. Mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
- While the potato is boiling, finely chop the brown onion. Finely chop the carrot (unpeeled), or grate if you'd prefer. Pick and finely chop 1/2 the rosemary leaves. Pick the thyme leaves. Finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Roughly chop the baby spinach leaves. TIP: We've used only 1/2 a bunch of rosemary here as it can be quite a strong flavour for kids!
- In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until softened, 6-7 minutes. Add the rosemary, thyme and 2/3 of the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the beef mince and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until just browned, 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the tomato paste (see ingredients list), water and beef stock to the pan. Stir well to combine. Add the baby spinach and stir through until just wilted, 1-2 minutes. TIP: Add a dash of water if the mince looks dry!
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Transfer the mince mixture to a medium baking dish and spread the mashed potato over the top. Sprinkle over the shredded Cheddar cheese and grill until the cheese is melted and golden, 5-10 minutes.
- While the pie is grilling, trim the broccolini and halve lengthways. Wash out the frying pan and return to a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the broccolini and cook, tossing, until tender, 5-6 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide the beef and rosemary pie and broccolini between plates.