Flourless dark chocolate and coffee cake
( SERVES 8 )
The Caker has collaborated with Nespresso to bring Kiwis the ultimate at-home coffee time treat: a Flourless Chocolate and Coffee Cake. The Caker (aka Jordan Rondel) is one of Auckland’s best known specialist cake makers. On creating this special coffee cake Jordan says: “I love this simple recipe because it’s not too sweet and lets the flavours of the chocolate and coffee sing. Being flourless, this cake is naturally gluten free and it keeps really well if stored properly.”
|200 g||Dark chocolate, (70% cocoa solids)|
|175 g||Unsalted butter|
|1||Espresso shot, Nespresso Cocoa Truffle|
|70 g||Soft brown sugar, or coconut sugar|
|200 g||Ground almonds|
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter together in a saucepan over low heat until fully melted. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the cooled chocolate mixture with the shot of coffee and sugar. One by one add the eggs, mixing between each addition. Finally mix in the ground almonds.
- Pour into the tin and bake for approximately 30 minutes. The cake is ready once firm to the touch and a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Once the cake is fully cooled, dust over some cocoa powder and a sprinkling of sea salt. Decorate with fresh flowers if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days.