Wholemeal date and lemon scone wheel
( MAKES 8 )
There is nothing nicer for Mum than fresh baking on the bench and a tidy kitchen, just in time for morning tea. Date scones are my favourite, but they must be bulging with dates. Here I have added some cinnamon and lemon. Make the scones in a wheel for a change — it’s quick and gives you lots of crunchy sides, which are my favourite bits.
- Preheat an oven to 200C.
- Place the dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Place the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, zest, cinnamon and butter in a large bowl. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flours until it forms breadcrumb-sized bits. Add the dates and mix through.
- Pour the milk in the middle and mix through, using a knife with a cutting motion.
- Place the mixture on a lightly floured bench and press into a circle. Cut into 8 or 10 wedges. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar and with butter on the side.