Pork Bun Cha and Rainbow Veggies with Garlic Rice and Sweet Chilli Sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Discover classic Vietnamese flavours with a whole new twist! Take tasty garlic rice piled with moreish pork meatballs and crisp cucumber, carrot and sautéed greens, and you’ve got a dinner-time hit. Serve with pickled onion for an extra punch of flavour.
|310 g||Jasmine rice|
|1 bunch||Asian greens|
|1||Long green chilli|
|500 g||Pork mince|
|90 g||Oyster sauce|
|75 g||Fine breadcrumbs|
|100 g||Sweet chilli sauce|
|32 g||Crispy shallots|
|1 dash||Olive oil|
|½ cup||Rice wine vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
- Finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with a dash of olive oil over a medium heat. Add 1/2 the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the jasmine rice, water (for the rice) and salt and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 12 minutes, then remove from the heat and keep covered until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 10-15 minutes. TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don't peek!
- While the rice is cooking, thinly slice the red onion (see ingredients list). In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, the water (for the pickle) and a good pinch of sugar and salt. Stir to coat, then set aside until serving. Cut the carrot (unpeeled) into thin matchsticks (or grate if you prefer). Thinly slice the cucumber into rounds. Roughly chop the Asian greens. Pick the mint leaves and roughly chop. Thinly slice the long green chilli (if using).
- In a large bowl, combine the pork mince, oyster sauce, fine breadcrumbs (see ingredients list), egg and remaining garlic. Using damp hands, take a spoonful of mixture and shape into a small meatball. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining mixture. You should get around 6-7 meatballs per person.
- In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned and cooked through, tossing occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil, if needed. Add the carrot and cook, tossing, until just tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the Asian greens and soy sauce and cook, tossing, until wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the pickled onion. Divide the garlic rice between bowls. Top with the veggies, cucumber, pork meatballs and the pickled onion. Drizzle with the sweet chilli sauce and garnish with the mint, crispy shallots and the chilli (if using).