Creamy Indian Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice
( SERVES 4 )
Rich, creamy and aromatic – this mild curry has all the elements that make Indian food so delicious. Packed with flavour, it comes together superbly for a mild and flavourful meal that everyone will love!
- In a medium saucepan, add the water (for the rice) and bring to the boil. Add the basmati rice, stir, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and keep covered until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, 10 minutes. TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don't peek!
- While the rice is cooking, thinly slice the carrot (unpeeled) and courgette into half-moons. Roughly chop the tomato and coriander. Finely grate the ginger and garlic (or use a garlic press). Cut the chicken thigh into 2cm chunks.
- In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat of the frying pan to medium and add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the tandoori paste and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the carrot, courgette, tomato and water (for the sauce) to the pan and simmer until softened, 3 minutes. Add the pure cream (see ingredients list), brown sugar and salt and simmer until the veggies are tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Divide the basmati rice between bowls and top with the creamy Indian chicken curry. Garnish with the coriander.