Thai tofu with noodles
( SERVES 4 )
While this dish is a dry curry, you can easily add a can of coconut milk to the spice paste, simmer and then add tofu, or add vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and bok choy.
- Toss the tofu cubes in soy sauce and leave to marinate for 15 minutes or so while you prepare the paste.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add 2 Tbsp. oil and swirl around, then add the garlic, ginger, chicken or tofu (together with the marinade), mushrooms, and a few tablespoons of stock. Stir-fry 5 minutes, or until chicken or mushrooms are cooked. When pan becomes dry, add a little more chicken stock, 1-2 Tbsp. at a time - enough to keep the ingredients sizzling.
- Put the remaining ingredients (aside from oil and soba noodles) into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan until hot. Drain the tofu cubes and stir-fry at a high temperature until golden on each side. Drain on a paper towel.
- Wipe out the wok. Pour in the paste and stir well. Return the tofu to the wok and mix it into the paste.
- Serve the tofu on noodles with thin slices of fresh red chilli or red capsicum to garnish.