Walnut and ginger biscuits
( MAKES 20 )
Short textured with a little chew, these biscuits are not particularly sweet. I make these using unsalted butter but it’s not a necessity.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the rolled oats, walnuts and stem ginger and fold in.
- Using a tablespoon drop mixture on to the prepared trays, leaving space between each one to allow for spreading during baking. Quickly roll each into a round, the mixture is quite sticky so just a quick roll to shape then gently flatten to about 1cm thick. Sprinkle each with a little raw sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for 16-18 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before storing in an airtight container.