Crockpot Easter bread
If the top is still pale, brown it quickly under a grill. Alternatively, turn the bread upside down to serve. Slices can be served fresh or toasted.
- Lightly grease a deep 18cm cake pan. A shallow pan should be lined with baking paper. Ensure the paper rises 3-4 cm above the rim.
- Place the yeast in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of sugar and a 1/2 cup of water. Stand for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Place the remaining sugar and water in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture, salt and olive oil. Stir in the wholemeal flour, currants and mixed peel until smooth.
- Sift the high-grade flour and spices together. Add enough to the liquid mixture to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured bench and gently knead the dough until elastic and shiny. Place in the prepared cake pan.
- Make a sling of folded baking paper, place the pan on top and lift into a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 1 1/2-2 hours until lightly golden and a skewer inserted in the centre come out clean. Cool on a wire rack.