Bitter chocolate, almond and dulce de leche cake
( MAKES 24 squares )
Fudgy, decadent and an Easter treat for the chocolate lover.
- Heat the oven to 160C. Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper overlapping on all sides. Use 2 pieces of baking paper if needed.
- Place the almonds on a baking tray and place in the oven to toast for a few minutes. You will smell them toasting. Remove, leave to cool a little, then roughly chop.
- Place the sugar in a large bowl, then sift in the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder. Make a well in the centre and pour in the eggs, vanilla extract and melted butter. Stir with a spatula to combine. Fold through the chocolate and almonds.
- Dollop teaspoonfuls of the Dulce de Leche over the mixture then drag a knife through each to swirl it.
- Place in the oven. Check after 45 minutes and if the centre is still wobbly then continue to bake. It may take up to 1 hour to bake. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before removing from the tin.
- Cut into small squares for serving. Store in an airtight container.