Banana cardamom cake with cream cheese icing and caramelised almonds
( SERVES 8 )
|115 g||Butter, softened|
|1 cup||Soft brown sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract, or paste|
|1 cup||Mashed ripe bananas, (about 3 smallish bananas)|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|3 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|¾ cup||Thick greek yoghurt|
Cream cheese icing
- Heat the oven to 160C. Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a 20cm round tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed banana and vanilla extract or paste and mix.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cardamom into a separate bowl.
- Heat the milk until just below boiling point and stir in the baking soda. Mix the milk and baking soda, yoghurt and flour mixture into the creamed mixture in about 3 alternate batches, finishing with the flour mixture until just combined. This prevents the flour clumping and then the need to overmix.
- Pour into the prepared tin. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
- To make the caramelised almonds, increase the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat the sugar and water together in a frying pan over medium heat until melted, stirring. Add the almonds and toss in the syrup. Spread onto the prepared tray, breaking up any clumps and place in the oven for about 10 minutes until the almonds are caramelised. Stir once during caramelising to prevent clumping. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before storing in an airtight jar.
- To make the cream cheese icing, beat together the butter and icing sugar then add the cream cheese, piece by piece until incorporated.
- To finish, spread the cooled cake with the icing and decorate the top with pieces of caramelised almond. Serve extra caramelised almonds with each piece of cake.