Green bean salad with potatoes, capers and eggs
( SERVES 4 )
New potatoes are perfect served cold in this flavoursome salad.
- Put the potatoes in a pot, add enough heavily salted water to cover, set the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cook until just barely tender, 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a cutting board to cool, leaving the water in the pot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, steam the eggs: Fill a bowl with cool water and ice cubes. Place the eggs in a steamer basket set over a few inches of boiling water; cover and cook for 11 to 12 minutes, depending on how thoroughly done you prefer the yolks.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs directly to the ice-water bath for a few minutes. Gently tap each egg all over on your countertop to crack the shell, peel them, and rinse them in the ice-water bath. Leave the bowl near the stove. Cut each egg in half.
- When the potatoes are ready, return the water in the pot to a boil and add the green beans. Cook until their colour deepens, about 2 minutes, then scoop them into the ice-water bath to stop the cooking. Drain and pat them dry.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, the 1/2 tsp of salt and the pepper in a medium bowl until well blended. Taste, and add more salt, as needed.
- Cut the cooked potatoes into quarters (if large) or halves (if small) and arrange them on a platter. Spoon about one-quarter of the dressing over them.
- Toss the green beans, red onion, olives, capers and their brine, and the parsley and/or tarragon in a mixing bowl with the remaining dressing, then add them to the platter. Arrange the eggs on top, and season with a little more salt, as needed. Serve at room temperature.