( MAKES 10 )
These buckwheat pancakes are great for a special shared breakfast in bed, especially with delicous seasonal berries.They look — and taste — gorgeous. If it’s not berry season, frozen are fine — just allow time for them to thaw, or replace with another seasonal fruit — figs and feijoas are not too far away. To keep the pancakes light and airy, be sure to fold the egg whites in gently.
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1¼ cups||Buckwheat flour|
|½ cup||Gluten-free flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|3 Tbsp||Butter, for frying|
- Place the milk in a jug and add the lemon juice (a quick way of making buttermilk).
- Place the flours and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks and mashed banana into the milk, then stir through the dry ingredients until smooth. Don’t worry if there are a few banana lumps.
- Whisk the egg whites until just stiff and fold lightly through the batter mixture.
- Heat a teaspoon of butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add ½ cup of mixture to the pan at a time, cooking until it starts to bubble, then flip for a further 3 minutes. Continue to cook the remainder of the mixture. Keep the pancakes warm (in the oven on a low setting) while you cook the rest.
- Serve with mango, maple syrup, a dollop of yoghurt and berries.