Italian plum cake
( SERVES 10 )
This dessert is a heavenly combination in which juicy plums are served in a light cake batter. I like to serve it with some extra rum-soaked raisins and a creamy vanilla ice cream, although it is just as good on its own for afternoon tea.
- Preheat an oven to 180C. Grease and line the base of a 20cm tin.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light and creamy with an electric beater. Add the butter and beat through.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder, zest, salt and raisins.
- Slice half of the plums thinly and fold through the mixture. Pour into the tin and spread evenly.
- Keep the remaining plums in halves and arrange on the top of the cake. Some will sink a bit as it cooks but that is fine. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Place into the oven for 1 hour or until light and spongy to the touch. Cool in the tin.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and light dusting of icing sugar.