Vegetarian sausage rolls
( MAKES 16 )
These can be frozen but will keep in the fridge for several days. Serve with a tomato or fruit sauce.
- Cover and microwave the pumpkin until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and mash.
- Sauté the onion in the oil in a large frying pan, until tender. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the seasonings and water. Simmer gently until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the mashed pumpkin. Cool. Mix in half the egg.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Lightly oil a baking tray.
- Cut the pastry sheets in half. Spoon a quarter of the mixture down the middle of the pastry. Brush the edges with a little beaten egg. Roll up. With a sharp knife cut each piece into 4 lengths. Place on the baking tray — seam side down — and brush with the egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and crisp.