Chinese sticky pork
( SERVES 4 )
Shaoxing wine — Chinese cooking wine — is available from Asian food stores and many supermarkets.
- Place the pork in a large, deep frying pan. Add the Shaoxing wine and 1/2 each of the soy sauce and five-spice. Cover with 1 litre of water. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer on medium heat, then reduce to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining soy sauce and five-spice in a jug. Add the char siu sauce, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and chilli. Stir well to combine. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Line a roasting pan with baking paper. Place a greased wire rack on top. Transfer the pork to the rack. Brush with half of the larger amount of the char siu mixture. Roast, basting with the remaining mixture halfway through, for about 1 1/2-2 hours or until the meat is tender and golden (internal temp 85°C).
- Serve sliced and drizzled with the reserved 3 tablespoons of the char siu mixture.