Tamarillo upside-down cake
( SERVES 8 )
Upside-down cakes are great for pudding, or for serving for afternoon tea with a cake fork and a dollop of cream or yoghurt.
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Line 22cm springform cake pan with baking paper.
- Melt the 150g butter and ½ cup brown sugar together and pour over the baking paper.
- Cover with sliced tamarillos in a circular pattern.
- Beat together second measure of butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the combined flour, coconut and spices. Spoon the cake batter over the tamarillos.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until cake tests cooked when a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes and then invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve with whipped cream.