Barbecue bangers with beer sauce
( SERVES 4 )
If your favourite beer is a bitter you may need to add extra brown sugar.
- Prick the sausages a couple of times with a skewer. Pour the beer into a frying pan. Add the sausages. Slowly bring to the boil, turning the sausages often. Poach for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stand for another 5 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Halve and seed the capsicum. Remove the ribs. Cut into about 8 pieces. Halve the chillies. Seed, if preferred. Cut the onion into 4-8 wedges.
- Drain the sausages well, reserving the beer cooking liquid.
- To make the sauce, sauté the shallots in the oil, until softened. Add the garlic then the remaining sauce ingredients. Simmer for a few minutes. Can be thickened with a cornflour paste, if preferred.
- Preheat the barbecue. Oil the hot plate. Sauté the sausages, capsicum, chillies and onion until the sausages are browned and the vegetables crisp-tender. Serve with the sauce.