Tropical christmas cake
Roughly chop the tropical dried mix into 2cm pieces. The topping should be placed on the cake just before serving. Freeze-dried fruits soften once exposed to the air. Alternatively, cover the cake with butter icing.
|432 g||Canned crushed pineapple|
|300 g||Dried tropical fruit mix, (from bulk bin), chopped|
|150 g||Candied lemon peel|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Mixed spice|
|125 g||Butter, chopped|
|2 cups||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|2||Eggs, well beaten|
- Place the sugar, the pineapple and juice, chopped dried tropical fruit, baking soda, mixed spice and butter into a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line an 18cm loose-based cake pan with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the cold fruit mixture and eggs. Pour into the cake pan.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then turn onto a cake rack to cool completely.
- Optional Topping: Brush the cake top with the melted jam. Top with a selection of fruits and chocolate stars. Spray the sides lightly with gold food spray, if using.
See more of Jan's christmas recipes