Lemon and apple sponge
Combine this cake with care to create a light-as-air sponge perfect for afternoon tea. To make it a little more special, add cherries or strawberries to the centre and you are bound to impress.
|200 g||Butter, softened|
|200 g||Caster sugar|
|200 g||Self raising flour|
|2 medium||Apples, grated|
|1 Tbsp||Lemon zest|
|1 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 handful||Berries, to decorate|
1. Preheat oven to 170C andline a 23cm tin with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until lightand fluffy. While beating slowly add theeggs one at a time. Fold through the flour,apple, lemon zest and juice.
3. Spread the mixture evenly into yourtin. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until thecake is light to the touch. Remove andcool completely.
4. To serve, slice the cake in half andplace the base on to a serving plate.Fold the cream, creme fraiche and lemoncurd together and spread over the cakethen place the top on.
5. Dust with icing sugar and serve toppedwith fresh strawberries.
See more of Angela's afternoon treat recipes