Potato and apple gratin
( SERVES 6 )
A lighter version of an old French classic.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium-low. Sauté the onion — stirring occasionally — until soft, about 12 minutes. Add the thyme.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Core and thinly slice the apple. Lightly butter a 1 litre baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of the potatoes in the baking dish. Top with 1/2 the apple slices and 1/2 the onion. Repeat the layers ending with a layer of potato.
- Heat the cream, milk and salt together. Pour evenly over the potato mixture. Cover.
- Place a baking tray in the oven to catch any drips. Place the baking dish on top. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the top is golden.
See more of Jan's potato recipes