Mushroom soup with walnut croûtes
( SERVES 4 )
Prepare the soup in advance and all you need to do is reheat just before serving.
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 medium||Onion, roughly chopped|
|5 cups||Mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Plain flour|
|4 cups||Chicken stock, or vegetable stock, hot|
|1 cup||Creme fraiche|
|1 serving||Salt and pepper|
|2 Tbsp||Dry sherry, (optional)|
|4 tsp||Balsamic vinegar, good quality|
Walnut crème fraiche
- To make soup, in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat cook butter and oil until bubbling. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes or until cooked. Add flour, mix well with a wooden spoon then cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes. Slowly add hot stock, mixing well to ensure there are no lumps. Bring to a simmer for 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and process with an immersion blender (or in a blender) until smooth. Return to pot and add first measure of crème fraiche, salt and pepper to your taste. Mix to combine and set aside.
- To make walnut crème fraiche, in a small bowl combine all ingredients.
- To make croûtes, drizzle ½ tsp oil on each side of baguette slices. Grill baguette slices on one side then turn, sprinkle with gruyère and grill until golden-brown and bubbling.
- Prior to serving, reheat soup and add sherry (if using). Divide soup between 4 bowls. Top each croûte with 1 tbsp walnut crème fraiche, Drizzle your favourite balsamic over each soup.
See more of Simon's winter entertaining ideas