Rustic spiced apple loaf
( SERVES 6 )
There is a lot of spice to this loaf, but feel free to tone it down if that is not your thing, just a teaspoon of cinnamon works wonders.
- Preheat oven to 180. Peel, core and dice the apples into 1cm pieces. Place apple in a microwave proof bowl, add a tablespoon of water, cover and place in the microwave for 2 minutes until just tender.
- Combine brown sugar, golden syrup and olive oil in a large mixing bowl and mix well until sugar begins to dissolve. Add the egg, mixing thoroughly until combined, add milk, mixing well.
- In a seperate bowl combine dry ingredients, including spices. Drain any excess water from apples and toss through dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix together thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into a lined loaf tin. Spread over sliced almonds and sprinkle with sugar. and a little extra cinnamon. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve slices warm or cold, smeared with a healthy slathering of butter.
See more spiced recipes