( SERVES 4 )
Pam’s Fresh Gourmet Potatoes are great buying this week at New World and an easy way to turn any dinner into a winter warmer. Dial up the delight in everyday mashed potatoes by adding extra flavour: salt the boiling water for the potatoes, and at the final mashing, separately melt a little blue cheese with cream and butter to add in for that extra special bite!
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|4 rashers||Rindless bacon, finely sliced|
|1||Red onion, finely diced|
|2||Carrots, lightly peeled and coarsely grated|
|2 sticks||Celery, string removed using vegetable peeler, finely diced|
|500 g||Pork mince|
|1 cup||Red wine|
|2||400g can chopped tomatoes|
|1 serving||Sea salt and cracked black pepper|
|1 sprinkle||Chopped parsley|
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the bacon and cook for about 1 minute then add the onion, carrot, celery and pumpkin. Cook for about 15 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Transfer to a bowl.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the pork mince to the saucepan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and cook until any liquid evaporates.
- Turn up the heat and pour in the wine, allowing it to bubble up. Add the canned tomatoes, 1 ½ cups of water and the herbs. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and allspice.
- Return the bacon and vegetable mixture. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring from time to time and tasting for seasoning.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and cooked pasta, or mashed potato or kumara. A steamed green vegetable completes the meal.
See more of Kathy's simple dinner recipes