Hawaiian roast pork
( SERVES 6 )
If you want crackling, score the skin with the tip of a sharp knife. Otherwise, leave the skin plain and remove before carving. Great served with Honeyed Apples: Cut 4 cored apples into chunks. Toss in lemon juice. Sauté in 50g butter until softened. Add a pinch of ground cinnamon and 3 tablespoons of honey. Cook until golden.
- Place the pork in a bowl or plastic bag. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and a 1/2 cup of coconut milk. Mix well. Pour over the pork and move the meat around until well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Turn often.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Drain the meat, reserving the marinade.
- Place the pork on a rack in a roasting pan. Add a cup of water to the pan. Reduce the temperature to 180°C and roast for about 30 minutes per 500g (internal temperature 71°C). Cover with foil and stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, strain the marinade and bring to the boil. Add the remaining coconut milk. Simmer for a few minutes. Serve as a sauce with the pork. Marries well with Seedlip’s Spice 94.
See more of Jan's roast recipes