Hemp seeds are all the go at the moment now that it is legal to buy it. Finally we can get our hands on the goodness and realise the benefits of cooking with it. Not only do these shortbread taste amazing but you are getting the nutritional benefits of this superfood which is a great source of magnesium.
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a large baking tray.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, caster sugar, vanilla essence and salt until pale in colour (can be done by hand or in an electric mixer).
- In a separate medium bowl mix together flour and cornflour, then sieve into butter mixture. Add hemp seeds and mix quickly and thoroughly to bring all ingredients together – but don’t over-mix as you run the risk of warming the shortbread mixture, which will result in a poor crumb.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently and quickly to form a loose dough. Place dough between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and roll out to 1cm thick. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters then transfer to a baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 150°C then turn oven down to 130°C and continue baking for 10-15 minutes or until pale and crisp.
- Remove from oven and carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
See more of Simon's sweet recipes: