Leek, lemon and kumara soup
( SERVES 4 )
This simple soup is soothing, but not boring. It’s a hit with all ages (even the vegetable-averse).
It freezes well. To give it an extra special kick, try drizzling it with Lot 8 Harissa Olive Oil.
- Set a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the leeks and a generous pinch of salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and kūmara, followed by the stock. Cover and simmer gently for 35 minutes, until the kūmara is very soft.
- Remove from the heat. Using a stick blender or food processor, whiz the soup to a smooth puree (you may have to do this in batches). To make it extra velvety, push this puree through a fine sieve into a clean pot.
- Taste for seasoning - add more salt, some cracked black pepper and perhaps a squeeze of lemon juice - before reheating to simmering point.
- Ladle into bowls and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
See more of Lucy's kumara recipes: