Delicious orange cake
( MAKES 12 )
Gluten-free. If you have an extra-large food processor bowl, use it to combine the entire mixture.
This makes a very large cake and it — or wedges — can be frozen successfully.
- Place the oranges in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Slowly bring to the boil and simmer on low heat for 2 hours or until soft. (Change the water three times during cooking.) Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Lightly grease and line a 25cm cake pan with baking paper.
- Halve the oranges and gently squeeze out any excess liquid absorbed during the cooking process. Discard the pips and place the oranges in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the eggs and sugar to the food processor and mix until smooth.
- Combine the ground almonds and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir in the orange mixture. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool before turning out.
See more of Jan's fruity bakes: