Gluten-free mandarin and date cake
( SERVES 8 )
The glorious bright orange of mandarins hanging from trees in huge clusters is a wonderful sight at this time of year. It makes me want to plant more citrus trees! It’s not hard to eat a bag in a sitting, they are so sweet and delicious and full of goodness.
This cake/pudding is a great way to use this beautiful fruit.
Greek or coconut yoghurt are perfect dolloped on top.
- Preheat an oven to 180C. Line a 23cm tin with baking paper.
- Chop the 8 mandarins roughly. Place them into a kitchen processor and blitz until well chopped.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and pale. Add the eggs one at a time mixing well, followed by the chopped mandarin. Fold through the almond meal, baking powder and dates. Spoon the mixture into your tin and spread evenly.
- Bake for 50 minutes until spongy to touch in the middle. Remove and cool in the tin.
- Serve decorated with mandarin wedges and a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
See more of Angela's winter wonder recipes: