Moroccan Chicken Tagine
( SERVES 4 )
This dish may sound fancy, but all you need are some store cupboard staples and you’re on your way to the heart of Morocco. It’s quick to prepare, healthy and a flavour sensation. Serve it with couscous, rice, or even with some creamy mashed potato to soak up all the lovely sauce.
Italian flat-leaf parsley (for garnish)
26cm ovenproof heavy-bottom casserole pot with lid
- Preheat the oven to 150°C fan bake. Place the chicken in a large bowl. Add the Moroccan spice rub and rub it all over the chicken.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pot on a medium heat. Working in batches (so as not to crowd the pot), brown the chicken then remove and set to one side.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the preserved lemon, olives and stock. Bring to a simmer, add the browned chicken, cover and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir the chicken to ensure it’s nicely coated then return to the pot to the oven without the lid for a final 15 minutes.
- Cook the couscous according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the tagine on a bed of couscous, garnished with chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley.
*preserved lemons recipe available at newworld.co.nz