Homemade baked beans
Serving ideas - Serve beans on toasted bread, mashed potato or hash browns. Top beans with shavings of parmesan. Poach an egg to serve with your baked beans. Add cooked sausages to your meal.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||Bittersweet smoked paprika|
|1 pinch||Dried oregano|
|1||400g can chopped tomatoes, in juice|
|1 serving||Sea salt and cracked black pepper|
|2 cups||Butter beans, (large) drained and rinsed or use a 400g can smaller butter beans or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 small handful||Chopped flat-leaf parsley|
- Gently heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and smoked paprika and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the oregano, chopped tomatoes and sugar and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer the tomato sauce until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed butter beans and stir to combine. Simmer gently until the beans are heated through. Stir through the parsley.
- Serve hot with any of the suggestions below.
See more of Kathy's simple dinner recipes