Chicken pie with cheesy crust
( SERVES 4 )
To keep it gluten-free, when using mustard check that there is no added wheat flour or malt vinegar.
|175 g||Gluten-free flour, (1.5 cups)|
|75 g||Cold butter|
|50 g||Tasty cheddar cheese|
|1 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|1 Tbsp||Chilled water|
- Place the flour in a bowl and grate in the butter. Add the cheese, egg, mustard and enough water to bind. Mix well — with your hands or a food processor — until completely combined. Wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into 2.5cm chunks. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Lightly brown the chicken on all sides. Add the onion and cook, until softened. Add the stock. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine the flour with a little water and stir into the pan, simmering until thickened. Add the tarragon, mustard, peas and parsley and simmer for another 5 minutes. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the chicken in a shallow pie dish or four individual pie dishes. The mixture should come close to the top.
- Roll out the pastry between two sheets of baking paper until about 7mm thick. Remove the paper and place the pastry over the chicken. Trim. Make a small hole in the top. Brush the top with milk, if preferred.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling.
See more of Jan's gluten-free recipes