Best-ever banana bread
( MAKES 2 LOAVES )
Really ripe bananas are the key here. Freeze any over-ripe bananas so you can whip this up whenever you fancy. It’s great sliced with butter or toasted.
|1¼ cups||Caster sugar|
|125 g||Butter, melted|
|4||Bananas, ripe, mashed|
|¾ cup||Buttermilk, or natural yoghurt|
|1 tsp||Vanilla extract|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 cup||Chopped walnuts, (or use desiccated coconut, chocolate chips or cranberries or a mixture)|
Cinnamon sugar topping
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanbake. Line two 1-litre capacity loaf tins with baking paper.
- Mix sugar and butter in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs. Add bananas, buttermilk or yoghurt and vanilla extract and stir to evenly combine.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and stir until you have a smooth batter. Mix in nuts, coconut, chocolate chips or cranberries, if using. Divide between prepared tins.
- To make the Cinnamon Sugar Topping, combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the loaves and bake until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (about 45 minutes).
- Cool for 10 minutes before turning out of tins. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 10 days.
See more of Annabel's Pasifika recipes