Toast with pickled green tomatoes and smashed avocado
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
Toast – a food group in itself. Such a versatile snack or quick meal. If you’re gluten intolerant you don’t need to miss out, there are plenty of gluten-free options or paleo type breads available too now. Green tomatoes are a fav of mine and there are lots about at the moment. I like to pickle them and they last a bit longer, I know you’ll like this combo. Of course, I’ve added a few tips and a little five percent magic to take these toasts to the next level.
|4 slices||Sourdough bread, toasted|
Dill pickled green tomatoes
|1 kg||Green tomato, sliced about 1cm thick|
|500 ml||White wine vinegar|
|250 g||Coconut sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Dill, finely chopped|
|60 g||Grated fresh ginger, saving the juice|
|½ tsp||Ground white pepper|
- Brush the sourdough with olive oil and grill on a griddle pan.
- Pile some smashed avo on each toast, top with green tomatoes and if you’re doing a brunch type snack add a poached egg.
To make the dill pickled green tomatoes
- Pour all ingredients into a saucepan heat to allow the sugar to dissolve,
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then add the dill, ginger and pepper.
- Place the tomatoes in layers into a clean wide-mouthed jar.
- Pour over the pickling liquor, seal with a lid and place in the refrigerator.
To make the smashed avocado
- Cut the avocados in half and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Add the onion, lime juice, jalapeno tabasco, orange zest and some salt to your taste.
- Using the back of a spoon, roughly smash the avocado, until chunky but spreadable.
See more of Simon's toast recipes here