Potato and eggplant moussaka
( SERVES 6 )
This meatless moussaka is sensational – rich, oily, creamy, filling, tasty and absolutely moreish. There’re a few steps to it though, so make sure you allow plenty of time to put it together. Serve with a salad. Leftovers, as you might imagine, are pretty delicious.
|2 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cloves||Garlic, peeled and crushed|
|2 cans||Crushed tomatoes, (800g)|
|¼ tsp||Ground cumin|
|⅛ tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 serving||Black pepper|
|45 g||Butter, (3 Tbsp)|
|4 Tbsp||Standard flour|
|¾ cup||Vintage cheddar cheese, grated|
|1 medium||Free-range egg, (size 6)|
|1 serving||Flaky sea salt|
|1 serving||Grated nutmeg|
- For the tomato sauce, heat extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over gentle heat. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes until fragrant and just starting to change colour. Tip in tomatoes and add cumin, cinnamon, ½ a teaspoon of salt and plenty of black pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, lower heat and cook gently for 15 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce, gently melt butter in a small saucepan, remove from heat and stir in flour, then blend in one-third of the milk. Slowly blend in the rest of the milk. Set pan over medium heat and whisk until bubbling. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, then remove pan from heat and whisk in ½ a teaspoon of salt, a good grating of nutmeg and grated cheddar. Cover sauce with a lid and leave to cool.
- Cut potatoes in half if they are large, then steam them in their skins, or gently boil, until nearly tender. Cool, peel and slice.
- Slice eggplant. Pour some olive oil onto a plate. Dunk each slice in a little oil and cook until golden in a preheated ridged grill pan or cast-iron frying pan. Transfer slices to a plate as they are done and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Continue with the rest of the eggplant.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fanbake). Assemble moussaka in a buttered casserole with a 2.5–3 litre capacity. Layer potatoes, sprinkling with salt, then fried eggplant and tomato sauce until all ingredients are used up. Beat egg into cheese sauce and spoon on top of moussaka. Bake for 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
Also see Julie's Mussak'ia recipe