Massaman chicken skewers with coconut rice and cucumber and pineapple salad
( SERVES 4 )
Alternating chicken with potato for these spicy Thai skewers stretches a small amount of chicken to feed four. Plain rice could be served instead of coconut rice but it does bring a level of rich, creaminess to the meal. The salsa-style salad balances everything with its tangy sweetness. This recipe forms part of the 11 March meal planner created in partnership with New World.
If you prefer to buy your chicken free range, it doesn’t have to be expensive. Look for Pams Free Range Chicken Thighs at your local New World – they’re often a much more affordable free range choice than other brands. Another way to make sure you always get the very best value at New World is to swipe your Clubcard for exclusive specials every week.
- Cut chicken thighs in to large dice and marinate in 2 Tbsp of curry paste for 1 hour or overnight.
- Cut the potatoes in quarters and boil in salted water until just tender. Leave to marinate in the other 2 Tbsp of curry paste for 1 hour or overnight.
- Bring rice, coconut milk, water and salt to the boil, then stir well, turn down heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam another 15 minutes before lifting the lid and fluffing with a fork.
- Thread the chicken and potatoes on to skewers, drizzle with oil and cook on a barbecue or grill pan for 10-15 minutes, turning frequently, until chicken is cooked.
- Serve the chicken skewers on rice with cucumber and pineapple salad (recipe below).
Cucumber and pineapple salad
- Mix ¼ cup lemon juice with 2 Tbsp sugar and ¼ tsp salt until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add 1 red chilli, chopped, 1 shallot, thinly sliced, ¼ cup coriander leaves, ¼ cup mint leaves, 2 cups diced cucumber and 1 cup diced pineapple and mix well.