Free form beetroot lasagne
( SERVES 4 )
You can use vacuum-packed cooked beetroot from the vegetable section of your supermarket. A great dish to prepare ahead then assemble and bake when required.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the pumpkin into 3cm cubes. Place in a roasting pan and drizzle with the maple syrup. Toss to coat evenly. Bake for 20 minutes, until tender. Mash 1/3 of the pumpkin with the boiling water and the cream, until smooth.
- Meanwhile, quarter the beetroot. Sauté the garlic in the olive oil until fragrant then add the beetroot. Sauté until hot. Add the remaining pumpkin cubes and the lemon juice.
- Cut the lasagne into 12 x 8cm squares. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the saffron. Simmer the lasagne squares, until tender. Drain, refresh then drain on a clean tea towel.
- To assemble, line a roasting pan with baking paper. Place 4 squares of the lasagne on the baking paper. Top each with a little of the pumpkin sauce (thin a little if necessary), the beetroot and pumpkin cubes and lastly some sliced cheddar. Repeat the layers finishing with the grated parmesan. The lasagne does not have to be evenly stacked. Cover with foil. Bake at 180°C for about 20 minutes or until hot. Any extra pumpkin sauce can be served on the side.
See more of Jan's veggie loaded meals