Grilled eggplant with Clevedon marinated buffalo cheese
( SERVES 4 )
Serve with toasted sourdough bread slices. The cooked eggplant slices should be so meltingly tender, they are spreadable.
- Heat the fan-grill until hot. Lightly oil a shallow baking tray.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into about 1cm thick slices (you should get 8 slices). Place on the tray in a single layer.
- Place the basil leaves in a small food processor and with the motor running drizzle in the oil through the feed tube. Process until you have a basil sauce. Season with sea salt and a little freshly ground black pepper to taste. Drizzle most of the basil sauce over the eggplant slices. Place under the grill, watching so they don’t burn and grill for about 10 minutes until well softened and golden. This will depend on how hot your grill is.
- Remove from the grill and place the buffalo cheese over each slice of grilled eggplant and spread slightly with a spatula. Season, then return to the grill for a few moments to lightly colour the buffalo cheese.
- Remove from the grill and place eggplant slices on a serving plate. Drizzle over the remaining basil sauce. Scatter over the pine nuts and a few extra basil leaves.
- Spread eggplant slices on to bread to eat. Eat with cured meats and a sliced tomato salad. Also great with barbecued pork sausages and a crisp green salad.